Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pick Me Up

Times are kind of low here right now...so I'm going to post some pictures of a few of my favorite memories of Indonesia so far.

This little girl lived at a halfway house for abandoned children in Surabaya that I visited on Thanksgiving. The kids were adorable.


For some reason they loved to throw these up. Who knows where they learned it.

Riding ponies had always been a passion of mine...outside a temple at Gunung Bromo.

With my (ex) students on Valentine's Day, aka a city-wide drug rally.


One of my first and favorite classes--10-7. These kids actually made me feel like a real teacher.


Leading a workshop at SMA 1 Bangil...the principal posed me this way. The students told me I looked like a Barbie Doll, and compared to them, I did.


On Gili Trawangan off the coast of Lombok. The most beautiful place I've ever been and my favorite spot in Indonesia so far.


One of my other favorite sites: the Buddhist temple of Borobudor outside of Yogyakarta.


With one of the sweetest boys I've ever met outside of the halfway house in Surabaya.


So when I get down about my current situation, it helps to think back at the times I laughed with my students, looked out and saw forty faces hanging on to my every word, went scuba diving with sharks and barracudas, spent my Thanksgiving with kids who really needed a reason to give thanks, and all the places I've been and people I've met. And then nothing really seems too much to get over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home